- All unwanted and unsolicited emails are known as 'junk email' or 'spam'. Never reply to such emails.
- Computer Center will never ask you for your personal information such as password, account details, credit card information etc. over email or phone.
- Always use the logout link in webmail or any other similar facility, never just close your browser tab.
- Do not open an attachment, unless you completely trust the sender of the email. If in doubt, contact computer center. Do not completely trust the FROM field as it can be forged, use your judgment by analyzing the full email header.
- We have barracuda spam filter, which marks emails those could be possible spam with
[**SPAM?**] in the SUBJECT filed. So those can be filtered out by the client-side filter to junk or trash folder.
Following points are useful to avoid blocking of your email id
- Do not send bulk emails. CC monitors all bulk email senders. Sending bulk emails needs prior approval.
- Verify each recipient's email id when you send bulk emails (after getting approval from CC). An unhappy receiver may mark your email as spam which will affect the whole IITK domain.
- Do not enter your IITK password in a non-iitk domain web sites (URL not ending with pattern iitk.ac.in). Usually, CC does not ask you to login to any interface with an IP address as URL.
Please refer to https://www.meity.gov.in/content/email-policy, main-pdf, Gazette-point7 or old-link, for email related policy, guidelines and usage from Government of India.
There are few good practice to select a STRONG PASSWORD. It is important that you remember the password. Following are some good practices:
- Keep a minimum of four passwords. one for CC account, second for outside IITK critical accounts, third for banking, and fourth for all other non-critical applications.
- 8 + 4 Rule: password length should be minimum 8 characters, with at least one upper case letter, one lower case letter, one number and one special character.
- Do not use dictionary words as passwords.
- Do not use personal information such as DOB, roll number, name etc in your password.
- Length of the password is also important, longer the better. But choose a password that you can remember - never write it down. You may also use a password generator for a good password.